General Surgery Training Program.
Each year, sixteen individuals are chosen for the General Surgery Training Program. They get selected after passing the common entrance program of the Medical Education Commission (MEC). After the counseling, the residents opting for the program are enrolled for the General Surgery Residency Program of the Maharajgunj Medical Campus. Foreign students from neighboring countries such as India, Maldives and Bangladesh are also enrolled amongst the residents.
The primary goal of the surgical residency training program is to prepare each resident to efficiently manage emergency and routine condition and to be successful in the career path they choose in academics, sub specialty or rural practice.
This is a three-year residency program started in 1994. This course is designed to help MS students to acquire adequate knowledge and skills in general surgery and surgical specialties. The students should be able to recognize and deal safely with a wide range of surgical problems resulting from trauma or surgical diseases. An MS graduate is expected to have broad knowledge of relevant basic sciences underlying surgical practical, have through understanding of normal anatomy physiology; have ability to identity and understand the pathology of abnormal; and have understanding of the scientific basis of investigations and treatment. The graduate will develop technique of good inter personnel relation with patient and his family, staff and community.
The development of appropriate attitude is one of the most important components of this training program. The MS graduate will be one, who is aware of his or her limitations, knows whom and when to turn for information and help, and can be relied on to refer as appropriate.
To produce surgeons who are well groomed in the Science and Art of Surgery who will in turn provide:
- Quality care for patients under their care
- Quality research on prevention and management of surgical diseases
- Quality teaching of Surgery to fellow Surgeons and medical students
- The graduate should have broad knowledge of surgical problems in general and who are capable of recognizing and dealing safely and efficiently with the whole range of surgical conditions.
- The graduate should have basic surgical skills, essential in handling emergency surgical patients independently, and dealing with life threatening situations such as traumatic or other critical diseases.
- The graduate should be able to accurately diagnose and plan management of a wide variety of surgical diseases even in situations where investigative and/or therapeutic facilities are limited.
- The graduate should have sufficient knowledge of regional and radiological anatomy and basic principles of surgery that is relevant to clinical and operative surgery.
- The graduate should have adequate exposure of subspecialty in surgery (Neurosurgery, urosurgery, GI surgery, Plastic surgery, pediatric surgery, Cardiovascular and thoracic surgery etc) so as to diagnose common surgical condition, manage emergency conditions and plan efficient referral to appropriate center when necessary so as to provide patients with optimum care.
- The graduate should be competent enough to pursue further training in super specialized subjects.
- The graduate should be capable of planning and performing scientific research and presenting and publishing their research.
- The candidate must be have passed MBBS or its equivalent from any recognized university and must have complete compulsory rotating internship.
- Must have appropriate registration with the Nepal Medical Council.
- Must have a post internship working experience of one year in a recognized hospital.
A medical graduate with MBBS or equivalent degree, registered fully with Nepal Medical Council and who has served at least for one year in an approved health institution after completion of internship will be eligible to appear in the entrance examination conducted by the MEC. Admission into the program me will be on the basis of merit determined by the entrance examination. Up to sixteen candidates are taken in each academic year. The course of MS General surgery is taken by the candidate on the basis of merit, which will be decided at the counseling.